Thursday, August 1, 2013

New Teacher Thursday: Technology Tips to Try





If you haven't noticed already... I really like alliteration!  Haha...  Yep, it may border on a problem.  I also am very enthusiastic about using technology in the classroom.  I just wanted to take this chance to share a few websites/apps that I love and use on a daily basis.

                                   
A couple of years ago a colleague introduced our staff to a wonderful website/app -- Class Dojo.  This website is useful for tracking student behaviors.  There are many ways that you could use it.  Students enjoy it because they can customize their monster avatars.  Also, parents can log-in to the site if you want that possibility.

Personally, I found that it was easier for me to tie Class Dojo into my existing clipchart.  (You've probably seen those on Pinterest and various blogs.)  I would include a picture of mine, but it's packed away in my classroom.

The chart that I use has 7 levels.  Everyone starts off the day on the one right in the middle.  At points during the day, students will be asked to move their clips up or down.  Students earn 1 point for being in the middle.  If they moved up, then they earn a point for each time they did so... so the highest amount a student could earn would be 4.  If they are moved down, then they lose a point for each time they moved down.  **If a child works back to the middle after being moved down, then they do earn a point for the day.  

At the end of the day, one of the students logs in the points for the day.  I let students choose to use either our interactive whiteboard or the iPad.  The students enjoy being the one to log the points.  So you're probably wondering.. what happens with the points?  Well, at the beginning of the year, as a class, we brainstorm possibilities for what they would like to earn.  We call it the Rock Star Store.  Previously, we've had items such as spelling homework pass, sitting in one of the special chairs, or lunch with the teacher. Students write down on a list what they have spent their points on.  

Every couple of weeks, I use a form on Google Drive to keep track of the points that they have spent and how many they have left.  I can't say enough good things about Class Dojo.  I actually carry the iPad when we are walking down the hall or at an assembly to give and take points using the app.  The very best thing about it is...that's it's FREE!


                                            

Classroom Organizer is an easy to use a site that lets you create a classroom library system.  It takes a little bit of time to input all of your books that you have in your library, but in the end, it is worth it.  During the year, when I would get books through Scholastic, students would help me by adding the books to the inventory.  I would recommend using the app to scan in your books.

Once you set up your class list and library, then students can checkout books.  There are several options for how students can checkout books.  Students can use the website on the computer. OR...If you have an iPad, iPod, or Android they can scan the book to check it out.

The website lets you track who has which book, and you can also check out a student's reading history.

I highly recommend this FREE website!

                                      

Spelling and Vocabulary City...This website is a time saver!  It allows teachers to create spelling lists for students to practice.  I love it because once you enter in your spelling words, they will be there the next year!

The very best part is that students can take their spelling test on the computer!!  They each put on their headphones and listen to the word, then the word is used in a sentence.  Next, the student types the word in the box.  This site is great because students are practicing their typing skills each week (common core standard).  Also, the site grades the spelling test for you!  I absolutely adore anything that will grade for me!  
This website can either be free or you can pay for some special features.  

                                             
Sum Dog is a website where students can practice a variety of math skills (they are in the process of developing a writing site).  Students LOVE this website.  One of the things they enjoy about it is that they can compete against classmates.  A lot of students would play on this site after school.  If your school sets up an account, then students can compete against anyone in the whole school.  Or students can choose to play against any student in the world.  It's a safe and fun website that reinforces math skills.

Again the best part... it's FREE!!

                                        

That Quiz is a useful website where students can take quizzes.  I know you probably weren't expecting that!  Students can either take quizzes that you create or they can practice with ones that other teachers have created.  I find it useful for weekly timed fact quizzes.  It keeps a track of the scores for you.

It's another FREE site!



What are some of your favorite sites?  


1 comment:

  1. Wow. Great list of sites! I use Class Dojo and Classroom Organizer in my room.I keep a printed list of my books in the car so that I know what I already have & what I need whenever I get an opportunity to stop at the used book store. My kids love to use the iPad to check out/in their books. I hope to use Spelling City this year. It sounds like it will be VERY helpful for 30+ kids with 3-4 differentiated lists every week! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete