Thursday, July 25, 2013

Some Thoughts for New Teacher Thursday


Yesterday, I went to my local teacher store to pick up a few things for the upcoming school year... this was the earliest I have EVER been.  My student teacher from last year (who has been hired as a teacher at another elementary school in town... lucky them!) asked me to help her with what she really needed.

Not to brag, but I'm kind of an expert on being a new teacher.  Haha.. I've actually taught 1st through 4th and even though I wasn't a brand new teacher with each move, it felt like I was in some ways.

So I remember that feeling of being so excited that I finally had a classroom, but also being so overwhelmed by what I really needed for my classroom... one of everything??

I spent some time brainstorming what I think are some important things for new teachers to consider.  Remember to give yourself a break!  You don't need to do it all in the first year.  


What New Teachers Might Need:
o Mailbox System
o  What will you use? 
§  Traditional mailbox system
§  Shoe storage (This is what I use because it is sturdier than the cardboard)
§  File box

o Organization System
o  Daily folders or bins or drawers
o  Master copies:  binders or folders?
o  Will you use a file cabinet?

o Plan book
o  Buy or create yourself (PowerPoint, Word)
§  I love creating my plan book myself.  This way you don’t have to rewrite your schedule in and you can tailor it to fit your needs. 
§  Will you make a teacher binder?  Definitely worth the effort!  I’m tweaking mine soon, I’ll update you on the newest version!

o Grade book
o  Buy or create yourself (PowerPoint, Word)
§  Again, I create my own grade book.  I don’t have to rewrite the students’ names.  I can set it up any way that I want. 
o Theme or rotate seasonal decorations:  Will you have a set theme for the year or will you change it depending on the season?
o  Monthly calendar for room (will you do this?)
§  date cards for calendar
o  Schedule cards:  pocket chart or on board?
o  Borders
o  Bulletin board paper
o  Accents
o  Bulletin board displays
o  Letters for bulletin board
o  Nameplates
o  Labels for hallway hooks or lockers
o  Job chart
o  Pocket charts?

o Discipline/Classroom Management plan
o  Whole class? 
o  Individual? 
o  Small group?

o Communication with parents
o  Daily binder?
o  And/or weekly binder?
o  Find a way to communicate the positive as well as concerns

o Supplies
o  What does your school have available?
o  You will always need:  glue sticks, pencils, erasers, scissors, folders

o Sub folder/binder/tub
o  Make sure that a colleague knows how to find it

o Plan for arranging desks
o  Groups?  Rows? 
o  How often will you change it? 
§  I always change at the beginning of the month.  This doesn’t mean that I won’t move someone that needs it. 

o IEP Accommodations Cheat Sheet

o Will you have another adult in the classroom? 
o  What space do you have that can be theirs?
o  Will you set aside supplies for them?

§  I have created Teacher Toolkits in my classroom.  These are two caddies specifically with supplies for teachers in my classroom.  



What do you think new teachers need?    




No comments:

Post a Comment