Sunday, July 14, 2013

Some Tips for Finding a Teaching Position

I will start off by saying that I am by no means an expert on this subject.  I've just had a lot of experience with looking and interviewing for positions.  This is the first year that I haven't had to worry about switching schools or grades.  I've been the swing person for so long, that I never thought this day would come.  This summer, I actually got to participate in interviewing candidates for the 4th grade teaching position at my school.  It was an interesting experience to be on that side of the table.

I don't know how competitive the teaching job market is in other states, but, in Massachusetts, it is fierce.  Schools receive hundreds of resumes for one open position.  I'll tell you a strategy that has worked for me in the past.

When I graduated from college, I immediately started looking for a job.  I got some great advice from a veteran teacher that has served me well.  She suggested that I look up all the schools in the surrounding areas on a useful site http://www.greatschools.org/.  I used the site to compile a list of schools that were within commuting distance.  Next, I created customized cover letters for each school.  I then mailed my application packet (cover letter, resume, and letters of recommendation) to all of them.  I also sent my materials to all nonpublic schools  - Catholic, charter, and etc.  I wasn't picky!  I wanted to get a chance teaching somewhere!  My first job was at a Catholic school, and it provided me with  wonderful experience.  I actually was hired ONE week before school started... so, you never know!

It seems like a lot of people are given the advice to mail it only to the superintendent of the school system.  I would suggest mailing it directly to the schools, too.  It's worth it to spend the extra money on stamps!

Here's why...      

I actually got an interview (which eventually lead to my first public school job) by mailing my packet directly to a school.  I was the principal's first call when he found out that he would have funding for another first grade position.  Who knows if he would have called me if I had been in the middle of a giant stack sent from the central office.

One last suggestion; don't cross off or rule out any school because you think it is too far or for some other reason.  The job market is so competitive right now that you have to be open to any possibility.  You never know which school might be the best fit for you until you try!  Happy job hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment